Here is a listing of some songs that surely bring your mind and your heart back to other times and places that have been burnished and dimmed with the mist of time. You will have your own favorites of this variety but most of you when in that reflective mood of life’s journey will enjoy these. They evoke happy and sad thoughts but good or ill though those memories may be they were in fact our walk in life. Hopefully, your memories these bring to mind will be those that make you glad you where there when those remembered events came to pass. There is no order of priority or worth; this is merely the musings of one man’s mind.
1. Can’t Stop Loving You–for all those who had their heart-broken at one time. Those who won and kept their love can enjoy it also because of the relief for not having that heartache.
2. I’ll Be Seeing Y0u–this is broad enough to cover all sorts of relationships. When you hear this it will recall those times with loved ones or close friends that touched your life.
3. The Way We Were–certainly not my favorite but many of the ladies seem to love it. It is just too, well, Streisand, for my taste but acknowledge it power to make one reminisce.
4. Softly and Tenderly–this old hymn will make you pause for sure. The best rendition was by Maureen O’Hara in Spencer’s Mountain. It has that rhythm and soothing words that recall a simpler time for all.
5. Memories–again not my favorite but it will be for many. You can almost fill in the blanks with about anything you want with this one–the birth of a child, the wedding, your child’s wedding and even those tender moments of childhood.
6. That Old Gang Of Mine–a personal favorite of mine because it brings to mind all sorts of associations and friendships you formed during your lifetime. The circle of relationships it recalls can be very close or more diffuse but still powerful.
7. The Night They Brought Old Dixie Down–even those north of the Mason-Dixon Line enjoy this one. It conjures up images of a better time regardless of circumstances or tradition. We all like our traditions and that is what this one is about and sacrificing for something besides ourselves. Who would have thought Joan Baez would be the artist on this one?
8. Time Of Your Life–Whatever you did or hoped to do this one will bring back the memories of those failures and the successes in life. It will comfort the hard memories and make you relish those times of peace and contentment.
9. The Things We Did–for all the lovers out there, young and old. When your hair turns gray, as it will, this is the type of song you will relish even if you do it privately. It is a bit saccharine but what the heck sometimes that is just what you are in the mood for.
10. Auld Ang Syne–you couldn’t have a listing of nostalgic songs without the supremo, numero uno song of the category. If you have a pulse you have to get a little mellow when this one is started. The flood of memories and emotions will overwhelm even the most jaundiced heart.
The trick is to lead your life without regrets. That means mostly being there for the others that you love. Also remember that a dreamer is hopeless but a man without dreams is without hope. http://www.olcranky.wordpress.com